Stormwater Management

Welcome to the Town of Bedford's Stormwater Management Program



The state of Massachusetts proposed Stormwater Management RegulationsThe Massachusetts Wetlands Protection Act
The National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NDPES) permit program, authorized by the federal Clean Water Act 

What is stormwater?

Stormwater is the water that flows over the ground when it rains or snows. When precipitation falls on vegetated areas, most of the water soaks into the ground rather than running over its surface. But when precipitation falls on impervious surfaces, such as driveways, sidewalks, and streets, it can't soak into the ground, so it runs over the surface. This run-off either flows directly into a stream or into a storm drain, which eventually discharges into a stream.

Why does stormwater matter?

As stormwater runs over the ground, it picks up pollutants, such as oil, fertilizer, sand, and trash, and carries them with it as it flows into streams. These pollutants can contaminate drinking water supplies, fish and wildlife habitat, and swimming facilities. Stormwater can also cause erosion and flooding problems.

For more information on stormwater, visit the EPA's Stormwater Page


What can I do about stormwater?

For ideas on how you can reduce the impacts of stormwater, check out the Citizens' Guide to Understanding Stormwater, or start with these simple steps: 

Eliminate pesticide and fertilizer use in your yard.

Scoop your pet's poop—pick it up and flush it down the toilet rather than leaving it on the ground.

Wash you car in a commercial car wash that treats or recycles its wastewater, or wash your car on your yard rather than on your driveway so that the water infiltrates into the ground.

Don't ever dump anything down a storm drain—storm drains run directly into streams without being treated, so whatever goes into the drain goes into the stream.

Use rain barrels to collect run-off from your roof to store for later use in watering your garden or lawn. 

Report illegal dumping and illicit discharging into streams and ponds by contacting the Engineering department

Report stream flow problems and impaired outfalls by contacting the Engineering department