Online Permitting Is Here!
The Town of Bedford Code Enforcement Office is happy to announce that you can now apply for permits online using Permit Eyes permitting software. Starting June 8, 2020, contractors and homeowners can file permits electronically and upload plans and other documents as well. Some projects may require both electronic and paper filing for technical review purposes; if that is the case, the inspector will notify you via the 'Chat' function found within the software.
Please read the Topic links below starting with the 'Get Started' link to create your account and then learn how to navigate through the program all the way up to paying online. If you have any questions, please feel free to call the Code Enforcement Office at 781-275-7446. There will be a learning curve for both staff and applicants as we navigate through this new software so please be patient!
- Access PermitEyes website to bring you to the login window
- If you already have an account then simply log in to start the process; if not, just select 'New User Register Here' to create an account.
- After you've logged in, select the 'New Application' button at the top left of the screen.
- Select the type of permit you are applying for.
- When you select an address, the owner of the property will auto-fill
- Please fill in as much information as possible; however, all mandatory fields marked with a red asterisk * must be filled in, in order to submit your application.
- After you've entered all of your information you can select the Submit button to submit your application or select the Save and Exit button to save your application and finish it at a later time. Please be aware that the Exit button will exit you from the application without saving it.
- After you select the Submit button you will see a Thank you!! screen telling you that your application was successfully submitted.
Once logged in, you will see a spreadsheet of all of the permit applications that you have applied for, with the most recent at the top. Recently applied for permits will show pending in the Status column.
Select the 'eye' icon to the left of the screen will open the Transactions Monitor box.
At the top, you will see a row of icons. Here, you will be able to attach plans, affidavits, reports, decisions and other documents by selecting the 'paper clip' icon. You can also use the 'chat' bubble to send and receive messages to the inspector. Lastly, you can view and edit your application if needed. At this time, scheduling inspections should be done by either calling the Code Enforcement office at 781-275-7446 or emailing the inspector directly.
- Once logged in, select the 'eye' icon to the left of the screen to open the Transactions Monitor box.
- The first tab is the Sign Off tab. Prior to the inspector reviewing your application, the application may need to be signed off by another department (i.e. Conservation, Health, Fire, etc.). Here you will be able to monitor each department's approvals, denials, comments, etc. and respond accordingly, if required. The application cannot move forward for review until all applicable departments have signed off as approved.
- The second tab is the Checklist tab. If the inspector needs additional information then you will receive a notification. Select the 'paper clip' icon next to the requested document to attach / upload and send to the inspector.
- The third tab is the Pay Fee tab. Prior to issuing the permit, you will be notified of the fee that must be paid. You will be taken to a third-party website where you will have the option to pay by credit card or electronic check. If you prefer to pay by cash or paper check then you must contact the Code Enforcement office via telephone to make arrangements.
- The fourth tab is the Issue Permit tab. Once the fee has been paid, the inspector will issue the permit and you will be notified that it is ready to print. Once signed in, you can select this tab and then the Print button to print the permit.
- Once payment has been made and the permit is issued, the contractor or homeowner will be able to print the permit from their office or home. The permit must be kept at the job site at all times as there are signature boxes for the inspectors to sign when they do their inspections.
- All inspections must be scheduled by either calling the main office at 781-275-7446 or emailing the inspector directly. Please be aware that due to the COVID-19 crisis, inspector's hours in the office have been modified until further notice; please call the office for more information.