North Road - Chelmsford Road Project
(May, 2023) Construction has resumed. The project is expected to be substanitally complete by the end of the year, with the new traffic signal at the intersection becoming operational this fall.
(June 3, 2022) J Tropeano Inc was selected as the low bidder to construct the project at a cost of $3.4M. Construction is anticipated to take place from June 2022 - August 2023. The Construction Plans (PDF) were updated after the Tree Removal Hearing was appealed to the Select Board this spring to preserve two mature trees at 324 North Road and 21 Chelmsford Road. Notifications (PDF) have been mailed to all area residents including a detailed schedule of activities.
In 2016, Green International Affiliates, Inc. was retained by the Town to study signalizing the North Road and Chelmsford Road, and the North Road at Pine Hill Road intersections. At this time, the Town is advancing Alternative 2 of the three conceptual designs developed for the North Road and Chelmsford Road intersection. Alternative 2 (PDF) was chosen with input from the Transportation and Bicycle Advisory Committees due to the improved safety, maximized green space, and best level of service. It includes geometric modifications to the intersection, a new traffic signal, pedestrian and bicycle accommodations, and a channelized lane for the North Road northbound approach. In 2019, the scope of the project was expanded to also include the construction of:
- New sidewalks on the east side of Chelmsford Road from Isabella Lane to the North Road/Chelmsford Road intersection
- New sidewalks on the west side of North Road from the North Road/Chelmsford Road intersection to Sweetwater Avenue.
- New bike lanes from the North Road/Chelmsford Road intersection to Sweetwater Avenue
- Push-button activated pedestrian crossing beacons at North Road/Sweetwater Avenue
The Conservation Commission approved the work within the resource areas with the issuance of an Order of Conditions. Multiple meetings with the Arbor Resources Committee were also held to review the tree removal plans, landscape replacement plans, and the required Tree Fund Mitigation payment.
For additional information, please contact Jeanette Rebecchi, DPW Transportation Program Manager at 781-918-4247 or Email Jeanette Rebecchi.
- Letter to Area Residents - Construction Notification - June, 2022 (PDF)
- Construction Plan Set - May, 2022 (PDF)
- Project Tree removal plans (PDF)
- Mitigation proposal memo (PDF)
- North Road and Chelmsford Road intersection 100 Percent Design plans - 2022 (PDF)
- North Road and Chelmsford Road 75 Percent Design Plans - 2021 (PDF)
- North Road and Chelmsford Road Pavement Markings and Signs 75 Percent Design Plans - 2021 (PDF)
- North Road and Chelmsford Road Colorized Progress Plans - 2021 (PDF)
- North Road and Chelmsford Road Sidewalk Evaluation -2020 (PDF)
- North Road-Chelmsford Road Intersection 25 Percent Design Plans - 2020 (PDF)
- Conceptual Alternatives for North-Chelmsford Road Intersection - 2017 (PDF)
- Board of Selectmen Presentation - October, 2017 (PDF)
- Board of Selectmen Presentation - January, 2017 (PDF)
- North Road Conceptual Analysis Report - 2016 (PDF)
- Local Concerns Meeting - October, 2016 (PDF)