North Road Intersections
June 3, 2022
J Tropeano Inc was selected as the low bidder to construct the project at a cost of $3.4M. Construction is anticipated to take place from June 2022 - August 2023. The Construction Plans (PDF) were updated after the Tree Removal Hearing was appealed to the Select Board this spring to preserve two mature trees at 324 North Road and 21 Chelsmford Road. Notifications (PDF) have been mailed to all area residents including a detailed schedule of activities.
January 31, 2022
Final, 100% Design Plans (PDF) were submitted by Green International Affiliates and approved by DPW staff. The Arbor Resource Committee met on January 27th to complete a final review of the Tree Removal Plans (PDF) and Mitigation Proposal (PDF).
July 28, 2021
The final design for the North Road/Chelmsford Road 0.8 mile project continues to be refined with the 75% design plans being submitted this past May. The Conservation Commission issued its Order of Conditions in June for work within the resource areas. The Arbor Resource Committee will continue its review of the project's tree removal this summer and fall.
In 2016, Green International Affiliates, Inc. was retained by the Town to study signalizing the North Road and Chelmsford Road, and the North Road at Pine Hill Road intersections. At this time, the Town is advancing Alternative 2 of the three conceptual designs developed for the North Road and Chelmsford Road intersection. Alternative 2 (PDF) was chosen with input from the Transportation and Bicycle Advisory Committees due to the improved safety, maximized green space, and best level of service. It includes geometric modifications to the intersection, a new traffic signal, pedestrian and bicycle accommodations, and a channelized lane for the North Road northbound approach. In 2019, the scope of the project was expanded (view additional details on the North Road & Chelmsford Road Sidewalk Evaluation - 2020 (PDF).) to also include the construction of:
- 5 feet sidewalks on the east side of Chelmsford Road from Isabella Lane to the North Road/Chelmsford Road intersection
- 5 feet sidewalks on the west side of North Road from the North Road/Chelmsford Road intersection to Sweetwater Avenue.
- 5 feet bike lanes from the North Road/Chelmsford Road intersection to Sweetwater Avenue
- Pedestrian crossing beacons at North Road/Sweetwater Avenue
For additional information, please contact Jeanette Rebecchi, DPW Transportation Program Manager at 781-918-4247 or Email Jeanette Rebecchi.
- Letter to Area Residents - Construction Notification - June, 2022 (PDF)
- Construction Plan Set - May, 2022 (PDF)
- Project Tree removal plans (PDF)
- Mitigation proposal memo (PDF)
- North Road and Chelmsford Road intersection 100 Percent Design plans - 2022 (PDF)
- North Road and Chelmsford Road 75 Percent Design Plans - 2021 (PDF)
- North Road and Chelmsford Road Pavement Markings and Signs 75 Percent Design Plans - 2021 (PDF)
- North Road and Chelmsford Road Colorized Progress Plans - 2021 (PDF)
- North Road and Chelmsford Road Sidewalk Evaluation -2020 (PDF)
- North Road-Chelmsford Road Intersection 25 Percent Design Plans - 2020 (PDF)
- Conceptual Alternatives for North-Chelmsford Road Intersection - 2017 (PDF)
- Board of Selectmen Presentation - October, 2017 (PDF)
- Board of Selectmen Presentation - January, 2017 (PDF)
- North Road Conceptual Analysis Report - 2016 (PDF)
- Local Concerns Meeting - October, 2016 (PDF)