Compost & Recycling Center - 108 Carlisle Rd
- Open to Bedford residents only. No commercial vehicles or contractors.
- The site is open on Wednesdays and Saturdays, year-round, from 8AM-1PM.
- Resident stickers are required. Request a free sticker at the DPW, 314 Great Road, during business hours. Proof of residency is required (vehicle registration and driver's license or utility bill with address)
|Month||Wednesday Date (8 am to 1 pm)||Saturday Date (8 am to 1 pm)|
|June 2022||1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd, 29th||11th, 25th|
|July 2022||6th, 13th, 20th, 27th||9th, 23rd|
|August 2022||3rd, 10th, 17th, 24th, 31st||6th, 20th|
|September 2022||7th, 14th, 21st, 28th|
3rd, 24th (See note following this table.)
|October 2022||5th, 12th, 19th, 26th||1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd, 29th|
|2nd, 9th, 16th, 23rd, 30th|
Extended Hours (8 am to 3 pm)
|December 2022||7th, 14th, 21st, 28th||3rd, 10th, 17th (See note following this table.)|
Note: Site closed on Saturday, December 24th Christmas Eve and Saturday, December 31st New Year's Eve.
Yard Waste & Brush Drop off
Scrap Metal Drop off
- Items that are primarily metal including metal furniture, fencing or shelving; pots and pans; bicycles (tires ok), grills (no propane tanks) and small engine items (oil and gas MUST BE DRAINED).
- Items must not exceed 5 feet in length and must fit into the gray collection container.
- NO appliances or pressurized tanks/containers (including empty spray cans and CO2 canisters.)
This program is made possible, in part, through the MassDEP Recycling Dividens Grant Program.
Cardboard & Glass Drop off
Residents may bring clean cardboard and glass to the Compost Center during operating hours.
- Flatten all boxes and remove any packing material (including styrofoam, bubble wrap, and packing paper).
- Remove all non-glass components (lids/caps, corks, etc.)
Batteries, Bulbs & Mercury Recovery
Bedford residents can properly dispose of mercury-containing items at the Universal Waste Shed.
Learn more about the importance of properly disposing of mercury-containing items in the March 2022 Recycle Smart newsletter.
- Mercury-containing items (thermometers, thermostats, barometers)
- Fluorescent lamps (4 feet, 8 feet, circular, u-bulbs)
- Compact Fluorescent bulbs (CFLs)
- Lighting ballasts
- Batteries: Lithium primary, Lithium-ion, Ni-Cd, Ni-MH, and lead-acid batteries
- Ionization smoke detectors
We Cannot Accept
- LED bulbs or Alkaline Batteries - these items do not contain mercury and can be disposed of in the regular trash (black cart). Residents who would prefer to recycle them can bring them to Batteries Plus Bulbs in Woburn, MA (fees apply).
- Digital thermostats, photoelectric smoke detectors or combination smoke/carbon monoxide detectors (put these in the trash).
- Car Batteries - undamaged batteries can be recycled at Bedford Auto Parts, 200 Great Road, Bedford, MA. Damaged or leaking batteries should be disposed of as Household Hazardous Waste.