Trash & Bulk Items
Trash Program Basics
- Use only town-issued trash carts. Republic Services will only collect trash in official Bedford carts or overflow bags.
- All trash must fit into the cart with the lid closed.
- The cart handles and wheels must face away from the street. Place cart 3 ft away from any obstacles.
- Residents may use blue overflow bags for trash that does not fit into the 48-gallon cart. Bags can be purchased at the following locations:
|Moison's ACE Hardware||297 Great Road
|Stop & Shop||337 Great Road
|Whole Foods Market||170 Great Road
- Carts must be at the curb for collection by 7 AM.
- Report missed collection to Republic Services 800-442-9006 by 5 PM on Wednesday following the missed pickup, for recovery on Thursday.
- See below for bulky item disposal.
- Trash & Recycling carts are the property of the Town of Bedford. Maintenance of the carts is the responsibility of the property owner. A dirty cart is easily cleaned with a power washer.
- Report damaged carts to the DPW at 781-275-7605, ext. 4261. If you suspect your cart has been stolen, please obtain a police report before calling the DPW.
Mattresses and Box Springs
Schedule mattresses and box spring collection at the UTEC mattress recycling website. Mattresses and box springs are collected at the curb twice per month, by appointment. Place all items at the curb by 7 AM on collection day, but not more than 24 hours in advance. All size mattresses are accepted. NO wet or excessively soiled mattresses. NO futons, or fold-out sofa bed cushions. NO air mattresses, water beds, or infant sleeping pads. Please note that Republic Services will no longer pick up recyclable mattresses and box springs for bulky item disposal.
Bulky Waste (Suspended for the month of Nov 2022) / Appliances / TV Collection
- Call Republic Services at 800-442-9006.
- Residents may schedule one bulky item per week for disposal.
- No fees for items such as household furniture, carpet, rugs (rolled into 4 feet bundles), rigid plastic items, toys, etc. (Suspended for the month of Nov 2022.)
- Fees (updated July 1, 2022) (PDF) apply for appliances (with or without freon), CRT/TV monitors (based on screen size), electronics & small appliances, meal items (grills, lawn mowers, etc.), and tires.
- Before you spend money on bulky disposal, check the A to Z Reuse & Recycling guide (PDF) for other options.
Unacceptable Trash Items
Disposal of any building, renovation, or construction material is the responsibility of the property owner. This includes toilets, sinks, bathtubs, wood waste, brick, concrete, etc. Residents should contact a private disposal service or utilize a dumpster bag.
- What if I can't fit all my trash in the cart?
If you occasionally have more trash than can fit into the cart with the lid closed, use an official overflow bag.
- Can I request an extra trash cart?
Yes. Additional trash carts are available for an annual fee. View the Trash Carts application (PDF). Annual invoices for the second trash carts are issued on October 1. Unpaid carts are subject to removal for non-payment.