New Fire Station Project
Following several years of studies and analyses of potential sites for a new fire station, the Bedford Select Board has voted to acquire the property at 139 The Great Road in order to build a new facility.
A warrant article to approve and fund the acquisition of this property, as well as to fund design / project management services for a new fire station, was adopted at the 2022 Annual Town Meeting. An owners' project manager and an historic preservation consultant have been contracted with the Town. Two petitioners' articles were on the 2022 Special Town Meeting Warrant and neither was adopted. The next steps will include beginning the designer selection process, forming a building committee, designing the building, and engaging with neighbors, the Historic District Commission, and other stakeholders.
The Request for Qualifications for a designer is now available on the Town of Bedford's website, and bid responses are due by February 16, 2023.
On this page, please find a frequently asked questions document, a map of other sites considered, a video tour of the current fire station, and more.
- Police and Fire Facilities Study (PDF) (from 1991)
- Police Fire Facilities Study (PDF) (from 1994)
- Bedford Fire Headquarters Building Space Utilization Assessment Study (PDF) (from 2015)
- Station Assessment (PDF) (from an expert consultant in 2018)
- Summary Review of Studies (PDF) (from an expert consultant in 2020, recommending the relocation of the fire station to a minimum 60,000 square foot parcel)
- Documentation Report - 139 Great Road (PDF) (Preservation Collaborative - 2023)
Public Forum & Opportunities to Learn More
Public Forum (February 17, 2022)
- View the Public Forum Video
Public Board Meetings
- January 31, 2022, Select Board Meeting (vote on Purchase and Sale Agreement)
- View the Select Board Meeting Video
- February 3, 2022, Joint Finance Committee and Capital Expenditure Committee Meeting
- March 2, 2022, Historic District Commission
- March 28, 2022, Historic District Commission Public Statement (PDF)
Email the Town Manager's Office with questions about the project.
Virtual Tour of the Current Fire Station (Filmed in 2019)
Documents related to legal attempts to block the Town's acquisition of 139 The Great Road. Note: As of July 15, 2022, the Town of Bedford has acquired the property at 139 The Great Road.
- Affidavit of Bedford Town Counsel (May 20, 2022) (PDF)
- Amick-Moonan Letter to Utah State University (April 29, 2022) (PDF)
- C. Amick et. al. Memorandum in Support of Motion for Preliminary Injunction (May 19, 2022) (PDF)
- C. Amick et. al. Motion for Preliminary Injunction (May 19, 2022) (PDF)
- Carol Amick Letter to Select Board (February 14, 2022) (PDF)
- Central Register Publication (Bedford Information on Lower Half of Second Page) (February 23, 2022) (PDF)
- Letter to Raymond Miyares from Bedford Town Counsel (May 16, 2022) (PDF)
- Select Board Statements - May-June 2022 (PDF)
- Town of Bedford Opposition to Motion (May 20, 2022) (PDF)