Town Manager Search Screening Committee
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
Bopha Malone, Select Board Member
Paul Mortenson, Select Board Member
Walter St. Onge
The Town Manager Screening Committee is responsible for presenting the names of 3-4 individuals, who shall be considered finalists, to the Bedford Select Board for consideration as appointment as the Town Manager of Bedford. The Screening Committee members shall use their best judgment and understanding of the criteria for selection of the Town Manager that is outlined in the Position Statement that has been prepared by the Town’s recruitment consultant with the input and information of the Select Board and other town officials; and that will be utilized in conducting outreach to solicit candidates for the position. The Screening Committee shall work collaboratively with the Town’s recruitment consultant in executing their responsibilities.
The Screening Committee’s work shall include:
- Meet to choose a committee Chairperson and Clerk
- Meet with the Town’s Recruitment Consultant to discuss questions regarding the Position Statement, review process of interviews, discuss questions as prepared by recruitment consultant and possible additional questions, and set interview dates.
- Receive and review resumes of Semi-finalists as presented by the recruitment consultant.
- Conduct interviews of selected candidates utilizing established questions.
- Compare the experience, qualifications, and interview performance of candidates to identify and choose up to 4 unranked finalists for presentation to the Select Board, contingent upon a satisfactory reference background review by the recruitment consultant.
- Meet with the recruitment consultant, as needed, to review the outcome of the reference and background checks.
- Chairperson meets with the Select Board to present names and resumes of the Finalists for consideration and selection as Town Manager.
It is anticipated that the work of the Screening Committee will be completed within four weeks of the first meeting, as called by the Town’s recruitment consultant. The Committee shall function as a governmental body of the Town as defined in the Massachusetts Open Meeting Law and utilize the provisions of said law pertaining to Executive Session in order to act in the best interests of the Town. To the extent permitted by law, the Screening Committee shall maintain the names and any information about the candidates in strict confidence until it votes its recommendations. Names and information pertaining to candidates not chosen as Finalists shall be retained as confidential.