A cultural district is "a specific geographical area in a city or town that has a concentration of cultural facilities, activities, and assets." The Town of Bedford is in the process of applying to become a Massachusetts-designated cultural district. The Cultural District application draft has been completed with input from the Bedford Arts and Culture Working Group. The group includes representatives from the Selectmen, Planning Board, Bedford Arts and Crafts Society, Chamber of Commerce, Bedford Citizen, Cultural Council, First Parish, Historical Society, High School Art Program, and local artists, musicians, and performers.
Some of the goals for the Bedford Cultural District include:
- Foster community cultural events and street festivals in the district
- Support small business vibrancy and the formation of new artisan and creative businesses
- Educate residents and visitors about Bedford’s cultural resources
- Encourage and expand cultural and artistic programming and rentals of Town facilities
- Generate opportunities for public art and support the creation of an art walk on the Narrow Gauge Rail Trail
- Create an incubator and display space for artists
- Make opportunities for utility box and other streetscape art
- Plan for significant expansion of the Historic Museum
For questions about the initiative, please contact Alyssa Sandoval, Economic Development Director at 781-275-1111 or [email protected].
Proposed Cultural District Map: