Bedford’s Fall curbside yard waste collection begins the week of November 7th. Yard waste will be collected on three dates in November, excluding the week of Thanksgiving - Nov 7, 14 and 21. Please also note: Bulky item collection will be suspended during the month of November to improve the timeliness and overall resident experience during the seasonal yard waste collection. See this press release for more details.
Residents should place all yard waste curbside in tall paper bags or open barrels without lids by 7:00 PM on Sunday evening. Republic Services will begin collection each week Monday and work to complete the route as soon as possible. Collection timing may vary. To report a missed collection, contact Republic Services at (800) 442-9006.
Acceptable yard waste includes:
- Leaves & pine needles,
- Grass clippings, garden trimmings & weeds
- Tree material up to one inch (1”) in diameter.
Yard waste in plastic bags will be left behind. Collected material is brought to the Town’s Compost Center. Please NO stones, trash, or other non-compostable debris.
Residents can also bring yard waste to the Compost Center, 108 Carlisle Rd, on Wednesdays (8 AM to 1 PM) and Saturdays (8 AM to 1 PM). A resident sticker is required. Stickers are available during business hours at the DPW, 314 Great Rd, with proof of residency.
Bedford’s Stormwater team wishes to remind residents that Bedford’s drains are just for rain! The storm drains in the street bring untreated water directly to our rivers and streams.
Help protect our watershed with these helpful tips:
- Remove leaves and grass clippings from pavement and clear leaves from storm drains to prevent flooding.
- Consider mulching leaves in place with your lawnmower to put valuable nutrients back into the soil.
- Gather leaves and other yard waste into a compost pile, let overwinter and decompose and then use as fertilizer next growing season.
- Bag leaves for collection or bring them to the Town Compost Center.
- Reminder: Yard waste should not be placed in or adjacent to any wetlands.
Learn more about Bedford’s Stormwater Management Program at www.bedfordma.gov/dpw/stormwater or email: StormWater@bedfordma.gov